G&L Guitars is building just 10 of these very limited Nitro Cellulous finished ASAT Special guitars in Fiesta Red.
The G&L ASAT® Special just might be the quintessential G&L guitar, viewed by many as Leo’s ultimate single-cutaway. Back in 1985, Leo Fender† launched this model under the G&L Broadcaster name, which prompted a response from Fred Gretsch of Gretsch Guitars over the name just as it had thirty-five years earlier. History buffs will recall that the Broadkaster® name is owned by Gretsch, and once again, a Broadcaster from Leo was required to have its name changed. This time around, the name became "ASAT" which is US military shorthand for an "Anti-Satellite" missile.
The ASAT Special, as the model became known, features jumbo single-coil Magnetic Field Design™ pickups, each with a narrow bobbin aperture for a coil which is shallow yet wide. In this regard, an MFD™ jumbo single coil is similar to a P-90 or Jazzmaster® pickup, yet the MFD principle provides a punchier bottom end and brighter top end sparkling with harmonics. Leo further departed with the past with the addition of his innovative Saddle-Lock™ bridge which transfers string energy right into the body end-grain for an incredibly resonant instrument. The result is one of the most versatile guitars ever, serving up ballsy twang to searing blues to smooth jazz tones. The semi-hollow Swamp Ash body on this version brings a certain "hi-fi" quality to the tone, softening the attack and slightly scooping the mids for accentuated highs and lows.
Founded by Leo Fender in 1980, G&L USA instruments continue to be made in the historic G&L facility on Fender Avenue in Fullerton, California, the Birthplace of Bolt-on™.
- CONSTRUCTION: bolt-on
- SCALE: 25 1/2"
- PICKUPS: G&L MFD Jumbo Single Coil in neck position; G&L MFD™ Jumbo single coil in bridge position
- BODY WOOD: Alder
- BODY FINISH: Nitro Fiesta Red
- KNOBS: Knurled Flat-Top Chrome
- PICKGUARD: 3-PLY Tortoise
- NECK WOOD: Hard-Rock Maple with Maple or Rosewood fingerboard
- NECK PROFILE: G&L Modern Classic with 9 1/2" radius, 1 11/16" Nut 15/8 Spacing
- NECK FINISH: Nitro Vintage Gloss
- NUT: 100% natural bone
- FRETS: 22 medium jumbo, Jescar 57110 18% nickel silver
- TUNING KEYS: G&L Standard 12:1 ratio, sealed-back
- BRIDGE: G&L Saddle Lock bridge with individual saddles
- CONTROLS: 3-position pickup selector, volume, tone
- CASE: deluxe Tolex hardshell