The G&L ASAT® Classic ‘S’ is a factory-modded version of Leo’s final word on the traditional single-cutaway bolt-on axe. First created in 2004 by the G&L Custom Creations team, the ASAT Classic ‘S’ later joined the line as a standard model in 2008.
The basic idea for this kind of arrangement has been long established in the Nashville session player scene, where players often install a Strat® middle pickup in the middle position of a Telecaster® and swap the 3-position pickup selector with a 5-way unit.
Back in 2004, The G&L Custom Creations Department dediced to build an instrument similar to the formula adopted by the Nashville guys but with a distinctly G&L flavor with ASAT Classic MFD pickups in place of Alnico Tele® pickups, and the S-500 MFD in place of the Strat pickup. The CCD team decided to ice the cake with a push/pull tone pot that functions the same way as the S-500’s mini-toggle switch, enabling additional pickup combinations of neck+bridge or all three pickups together for a unique sonic depth that G&L players love.
The “S” designation comes from both internal designation for this instrument, due to its use of the S-500 middle pickup, and “Session” in homage to the origin of this guitar configuration.
- Construction - Bolt-On, Solid body
- Body Wood - Empress
- Empress shares many of the same qualities of Swamp Ash
- Pickguard - 3 Ply White
- Binding - Double Bound
- Finish - Tobacco Burst
- Frets - 22 Medium Jumbo
- Scale length - 25.5"
- Neck Wood - Hard Rock Maple
- Neck Shape – Modern ClassicFretboard Material - Hard Rock Maple
- Depth at 1st Fret – 0.820"
- Depth at 12th Fret – 0.870"
- Nut Width - 1 11/16"
- Radius - 9.5"
- Inlays - Black Dots
- Tuners - G&L Locking
- Nut Material - Bone
- Bridge - Traditional boxed-steel bridge with individual brass saddles
- Knobs - Knurled Dome Style
- Hardware Type - Chrome
- Neck Pickup – G&L ASAT Classic Single Coil
- Middle Pickup - G&L S-500 Single Coil
- Bridge Pickup - G&L ASAT Classic Single Coil
- Controls -
- 5-Position Blade Switch
- Push/Pull Tone to add Bridge or Neck pickup depending on switch position